Front Page Forums Government Ranked choice voting

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #95

    For elections in which a single person must be elected for a position, such as a president, governor, or attorney general, the intent should be to elect the person who has the most popular support. This is achievable with ranked choice voting.

    A simple majority vote doesn’t provide this because a candidate who wins 50.1% of the vote may also be very much despised by the other 49.9%. Such a candidate is an inferior choice to one who is the first choice for 40% of the population and second choice for 30%.

    Furthermore, ranked choice voting eliminates the problem of the “wasted vote” that arises in simple majority voting. If a person’s first choice isn’t selected, they know their subsequent choices still have an impact.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.